From: Patrick Quinn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:32 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Hostmysite down?

>Jamie,
>
>Ah.... Well it's likely you will run into the same issue with the
>server monitor. I know it's important to be able to do that in a shared
>environment. On one of my seeFusion (windows) box I have a hard time
>killing them as well... Usually takes a couple tries per thread - and
>even then sometimes it's iffy. I wonder if it is Linux vs windows - or
>something specific about how each of them is defaulted when installed?
>
>-mark
>

>Mark A. Kruger, CFG, MCSE
>(402) 408-3733 ext 105
>www.cfwebtools.com
>www.coldfusionmuse.com
>www.necfug.com
>
>Just found out - SeeFusion 'runs' on Linux, but it can't auto-kill long
>running threads, which is a key feature we need in order to make sure
>the CF app server behaves.

Greetings, all. This is Patrick from SeeFusion support. There's some
misinformation here, so I wanted to chime in to clarify things. SeeFusion
can kill most long-running threads.  However, certain threads (typically
those stuck in the OS native socket code) cannot be 'killed' by SeeFusion
nor FusionReactor. That's a known Java limitation, not a limitation of
either SeeFusion or FR.

SeeFusion is written in 100% pure Java, and works fully-featured on any
platform on which ColdFusion itself runs. If you've got threads that can't
be killed by SeeFusion, then those are "rich targets" for tuning
opportunities (ie, find out why they're getting hung in a socket read, and
fix it).

Holler with questions.

Best,
Patrick