Bryan,
I would suggest looking into a SMSC (SMS Aggretagor) to manage connectivity
to the carriers.  We currently use OpenMarket (www.openmarket.com) as our
SMSC.  We are currently pushing in the range of ~150k per day and climbing.
They offer connectivity via SMPP, which you can utilize the CF Event
gateway.

HTH,
Rich Kroll