> When I make these changes, what do I need to restart, the
> ColdFusion instance?  The base 'cfusion' instance, the JRun
> service, the entire box?

If you look at your list of services, you'll notice that each instance is a
separate service. If you install the multiserver version on Windows, after
you're done you'll have two instances, admin and cfusion (or coldfusion in
CF8), and each will be listed as a separate service. If you make changes to
the configuration for a single instance, you'll need to restart that
instance. If you make a change that will affect multiple instances, you'll
need to restart each instance. By default, the same jvm.config is used by
all instances, so if you change that, you'll need to restart all instances.

> Speaking of instances, how does this jvm.config file play
> with our multi-home ColdFusion configuration?  I somewhat
> expected to see different configuration files for each
> instance.  My understanding was one of the reasons for having
> multiple ColdFusion was to have each one taking up it's
> defined chunk of memory, thus allowing a ColdFusion box to
> make use of more RAM then the ~2GB of RAM maximum for a 32
> bit JVM can use.

By default, all instances use the same jvm.config file. You can configure
them to use different config files, however. I posted the link for that a
little earlier:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18206

Even if they use the same jvm.config file, though, each instance will
allocate its own memory. So, if you specify -Xmx 1024 in jvm.config, each
instance will have a ceiling of 1024 MB.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/