On Monday 11 Aug 2008, Andrew Scott wrote:
> SVN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN PRODUCTION...

I assume you mean 'to deploy code to a production box' ?
Because as a production RCS it's well known for being utterly solid.

> When it comes to production, why the hell would you install 99% of extra
> space taking codes and indexes to a production server? Over a period of
> time, your code might be 1meg in size, but after a year the SVN indexes
> could result in 2gig and more of space that is no longer needed.

SVN checkouts only contain one extra copy of each file (in side the .svn
directory). This is unlikely to be an order of magnitude greater than
the 'actual' file as you suggest.

> But then
> if one read the docs to these tools, one would not use SVN in production.

I think 'svn help export' is fairly clear in not saying one way or the other.

> SVN can be expensive when it comes to hard drive space,

Hard drive space is *very* cheap, really.
A lot of people are using virtual servers anyway, so more hard drive space is
free*.

> Use a program like beyond compare to syn file changes or something, but
> NEVER USE SVN in production.

Why wouldn't I use 'svn diff' or a suitable GUI ?

> So let me recap, DO NOT USE SVN IN PRODUCTION. If you do then your a damn
> fool, and should be shot on sight.

I think you must have had a bad experience at some point...

--
Tom Chiverton

This email is sent for and on behalf of Halliwells LLP.

Halliwells LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and
Wales under registered number OC307980 whose registered office address is at
Halliwells LLP, 3 Hardman Square, Spinningfields, Manchester, M3 3EB.  A list
of members is available for inspection at the registered office. Any reference
to a partner in relation to Halliwells LLP means a member of Halliwells LLP.
Regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority.

CONFIDENTIALITY

This email is intended only for the use of the addressee named above and may be
confidential or legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee you must not
read it and must not use any information contained in nor copy it nor inform
any person other than Halliwells LLP or the addressee of its existence or
contents.  If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify
Halliwells LLP IT Department on 0870 365 2500.

For more information about Halliwells LLP visit www.halliwells.com.