Andrew Scott wrote:
> ... snip .... If you
> checkout it might be a copy of the current index from svn, but that is still
> and let me repeat myself this is still double your storage space if in a
> shared environment where space is an issue.

Andrew, that is a major step back from your earlier statements.

I have been sitting back watching the responses, from Andrew's original
"Extreme" statement to more measured responses from others and what I
gather in one aspect at least is that the extra disk space could be an
issue in that a simple checkout will take double the space of the code
base itself. Beyond that I have seen no "hard" comments about security
risks, etc., only fluffy ones.

Andrew said again:
> No even so, whether it is an issue or not. You should never have .svn
> directories in a production environment, if you do then I can no longer help
> your ignorance.

Why not Andrew? I asked what I thought was a reasonable question and I
did it because of a request of a client of ours. I have always thought
"SVN is not for prod servers" but when I saw that thread I thought it
might be sensible to ask why? You suggested doing some Googling, I found
a whole bunch of folk who do use SVN clients on their Production servers
as well as folk who say "never" just like you but also not with
explanations as to why, just like you. So why?

To put the whole thing in perspective a little context may come in
handy. We started as a CF development shop back in the 1.5 days and took
up hosting CF sites as no-one else did back then. The wheels have turned
and now we do development work again as well as serious hosting and have
a nice environment with workstations that run several versions of CF
flowing through to test and stage servers where clients can make sure
all is right before their sites get flipped over into production. SVN in
the background, etc, all nicely civilized. On the hosting side we have
many sites that we have had nothing to do with from a development
perspective but suddenly one of those clients has hit a wall in terms of
the size of their site and maintaining it and they want to drop into
version control with us and "do it properly".

Umm, 400MB+ of cfm files, the site with base gifs, js, css, etc to make
it work was over 1.5GB. The whole site with client upload areas, etc is
about 7GB. We did an initial copy of code, js, etc., onto an
intermediate server to import it into SVN and then checked it out to the
test server and then ran some file sync tools to the Production boxes
which are FTP distance away. It took over an hour to say "no difference"!

So our problem is how to push out changes to the Production boxes in a
sensible fashion and hence our question that has raised such ire amongst
one person at least :-)

--

Yours,

Kym Kovan