> GPL doesn't require that software not be sold.

Well...either way, it seems that this instance
of "sharing/promoting/whatever" has certainly been unfairly targeted
and singled out with "Don't do this without talking to me first"
when through the years there have been countless
instances of others who have promoted their offerings, with many
*only* for sale, to the community.

I can understand Michael's concern about not wanting the list to become
"free-for-all" marketplace and lose its identify, but the response to
someone who, at first appearance, is simply deciding to graciously share
something with this community, which has complained often and sometimes loudly,
that "there is nothing offered to the community that people aren't selling which
keeps the popularity of CF down!", seems a bit heavy-handed.

So, I guess the new policy is, that no one is to mention any product,
open-source or closed,
for sale or given freely, unless it has been approved first.

Let's see how many follow that new policy and when they don't, how many
get smacked because of it.

Again, I'm not saying Michael's policy of wanting to screen all mentioned
applications
is wrong...it would help insure their quality, but I've just never (and that
doesn't mean
I haven't missed it along the way) seen any mention of said policy.

We should all be watching for the disclaimer at the bottom of each message that
promotes a product or service to the community under *any* license, that states
this
app has been approved for us to know about.

Marius, assuming your intentions were good in sharing your CRM solution, I'm
sorry that
you had to bear the brunt of the announcement of the new policy in such a blunt
manner.

Hmmm...maybe:

<begin faux response to Marius>

Hi, Marius...

Thanks for sharing the info about your CRM with the community and making it
open source!
(Does that mean without cost, as well?)  Either way, it good to know it's out
there.

A note to the community:  To keep the list from becoming a marketplace, please
send all
emails concerning products for use or sale, under all licenses, to me (Michael),
for screening and approval for posting.  Remember, too, when anyone asks for a
product that
might provide a solution to a problem, the product has to be screened before it
can
be mentioned on this list.

</end of faux response to Marius>

Marius,

I hope you weren't too put off by the response to your offering.  It's
appreciated!

Rick