And it could turn water to wine, heal the sick and offer sexual favors for
free... but it's not what the client uses.

Also remember: the MS XML format was first released with Office 2003 and
refined for Office 2007 - the OpenFormat wasn't approved until 2005.  Even
Open Office itself still isn't (last I heard) in full compliance.

There are also several problems with the standard that further explain MS's
decision.  The released version of the standard, for example, doesn't
support tables in presentations (a staple of PowerPoint).  There's no
standardized way to include programmatic functionality (macros,
accelerators, Smart Tags, etc - staples of Office).  There are other
features of Office not supported by the standard as well.

Even the open source community can't decide... support ODF or CDF?  And, of
course, nearly all the documentation on this stuff is available in PDF (a
format more closed than OOXML).

But in the end you're absolutely correct: any format that gains significant
critical mass is going to be supported by nearly everything.

To be honest I'd be happy to see either on in day-to-day use.  My (large,
unwieldy and sluggish) company is still standardized on Office 2000 and a
9-year old version of DocuMaker Studio for online forms and letters.  XML?
What's that?

We're far from alone in that... and I guarantee that one of the side-effects
of the financial crisis will be a propensity to delay new software adoption
among large companies.  So this whole argument will be going on for at least
another few years.

> I see your point, though :)

Oh... then nevermind. ;^)

Jim Davis