I've been tasked with managing an upgrade of over 60 different client sites
form CF6.1 to CF8 environment.

Our current environment is a plague of not so great code, written by not so
great developers. Heavy lifting of the code just can't happen as this
upgrade is seen as an non-utilized effort.

So I suppose I'm looking for a bit of advice.

What has been the bane of my career (at least in CF) here has been primarily
two things:

1. Settings.cfm:
Application Pages on the site all use a settings.cfm page instead of clean
architecture of application scope variables including unscoped variables
common to the entire site.

2. Kludged Third Party App: (KTPA)
A terribly written third party application (which is encrypted) lives under
the root of a majority of the sites and relies heavily on client scope
variables. Despite continual recommendations against it Managers continue to
recommend implementing this application to our clients and the application
get's propagated.

What makes implementation of a managed architecture difficult are the
following:
- KTPA has an application file in every directory isolating that application
from the entire site.

- The last issue may seem an advantage but site security and administration
created by past developer embeds KTPA in any site that uses it so the
existence of a huge client structure (428 Client variables before being
logged in) and a huge application structure (774 application variables)
exists at the root application level.

- Currently Client Variables are managed via database storage (I believe its
because both cookie based and registry base management caused a number of
issues when the site get a large number of hits) and I believe that this
also affects the overall performance of our production servers but
unfortunately I haven't yet been in a position to review production
performance.

I'm posting to see if anyone else has similar experiences and can point me
to pitfalls and dangers of doing such an upgrade. As well as recommendations
of simple things I can do to improve the environment. Would Isolated Server
instances be good or bad? Would creating a application structure around the
settings.cfm help move us toward a better architecture (so that old code
could still run but new code would only use application scope for the same
variables)?

Thanks in advance for any advice, links, articles on making this migration
possible.

--
Joshua O'Connor-Rose
-All is Good