Joshua,

I don't have time to address all these concerns, unfortunately, but I can speak
a bit to the performance issue, at least based on what little you've shared.
Client vars are an excellent storage facility, with some great benefits over
session, but also some downsides vs session. In and of themselves, client
variables are best in the Database, so glad to hear that's where they are.
Since the KTPA is caching such huge structs in Client scope, using Cookie is
out of the question and using the Registry will literally fill your server's
registry space over the course of a few dozen users.

Sadly, this same issue will hit even when using the Database when you're
talking about 428+ elements in each user's struct.  Understand that those
client structs are instantiated into server memory for each user that logs on
to each instance of the KTPA.  That memory usage alone, which is on top of JRun
and CF and JDBC and your OS, could easily explain performance issues under
load.  Since you can't re-architect the KTPA, it seems like the memory usage is
going to have to be addressed with either a new platform or an increase in RAM
on the CF servers.

my 2c