Nick,

I usually just loop over the single e-mail address, and do not send a
single e-mail to like 200 recipients at one time.  I usually will
customize the e-mail body, rather than using a BCC.  Taking this
approach would probably save you on both accounts of a possible time
out, and any bad e-mails, as they would be identified.  The load on
the mail server would increase, but I think the results would be
easier to manage.  Of course that is just my 2 cents.

Is there anyway that you could check the e-mails to see that they are
all properly formed? Or  perhaps there is an unusual character in one
of them?

Or you could set a limit of lets say 100 emails in the bcc and just
divide the list up and try sending it that way?  I think that limiting
the # of e-mail addresses will help with any potential time-out
issues.

Rob