> The initial contract set out that we would have code updates on a monthly
> basis, so the progress could be reviewed etc.  The intent was that we would
> be provided with a complete system that functioned as the old system did,
> but with some new features and not in C++ 6.  It was a contract, and there
> were a ton of milestone deadlines, none of which were met, ever.  We kept
> moving things and obviously kept developing, trying to get a functioning
> beta out, or well anything.  Don't get me wrong, I did see functioning work,
> just not by the appointed deadlines.
>
> Well, I can see using some of the .NET stuff I guess.  I mean it is already
> written right?  I can access the library from CF8 (which I do have) and the
> couple of functions that are written seem to work, but I have not been able
> to put it under a huge load yet.  I have already started planning an
> interface through CF using ColdExt to replicate the web-side that we were
> initially shown (course I got mine together way faster....)
>
> Part of my problem, with not having a beta that works properly, is that I
> cannot evaluate the programs speed across my network, which I know sounds
> like it wouldn't really matter, but if something takes 7 seconds to
> complete, rather than 2, then after having staff do that something 100 times
> a day, their productivity goes WAY down just for having to wait for
> something to complete.
>
> And I know that the monetary evaluation is subjective, but I am trying to do
> some due diligence before hand.

I think the best you're going to be able to do is either (a) prepare
an estimate of how long it'll take you to build a working system from
this code, and compare it to an estimate of how long it would take you
to build it from scratch, or (b) hire a consultant to prepare similar
estimates.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/