In our particular case corporate pays or has been paying for the Oracle
license/deal that covers the entire company's use and most of that is not
for web applications.  Then when someone wants to build a web based
application it is up to them to front the bill for the application and
whatever means it needs to use to connect to the company defined standard
for databases.  So currently the define standard is ColdFusion and Oracle
for web apps although it is going to change any day(been hearing this for
awhile) because Microsoft is offering SQL Server at next to nothing to them
and for whatever reason they(corporate) wants to go away from ColdFusion.  I
forgot it was due to DataDirect though which I think is separate from Oracle
so the cost makes more sense at least when looking at it that way.  The
people paying the bills though do not like seeing the drastic price
difference between both versions of CF and in all honesty as far as they are
concerned here if just one version was offered and cost what Enterprise
costs then it would not be an issue.  It is when they see that Pro price v.
Enterprise, then and only then do they want to know why can't that cheaper
one be used and then they start looking into alternatives(other languages,
never alternative CF servers).