> Isaac, Aaron, Massimo, Michael, et al, are discussing it, and, Isaac,
> you stated that you "want to use it."

I am using it actually... I'm just frustrated by the broken SVN support.
It's the biggest highlight of the "what's new" for me... I don't want to
have to install Python and regress my local file versions to use it.

> And for those of you, like Isaac, who would "really like to use it,"
> my question is, why use DW CS4 instead of say, CFEclipse, when DW is
> $400 and CFE is free?  (Also especially since Adobe's IDE is right
> around the corner...)

I haven't had to pay for either of the versions of Dreamweaver I've
owned. I got a copy of CS2 w/ DW8 a while back as one of the perks for
being an Adobe Community Expert and then the copy of CS4 that I have now
I won in a raffle at the local CFUG. It's still not perfect for me and
honestly until CS2 I couldn't stand Dreamweaver. But currently DW is a
lot easier for me to use than the last version of Eclipse that I had for
a while when I was working for a copmany in Portland OR.

Personally, if I had the money to keep all my hardware and software
updated (without freebies), I think I would still give serious
consideration to paying for Dreamweaver because in spite of its
imperfections, it gets in my way a lot less than Eclipse or really any
of the other free IDEs I've tried off and on like jEdit (which
admittedly was a pretty neat and powerful editor for the while that I
used it). I forget the reason I stopped using jEdit actually... there
was something that was causing me enough problems to abandon it in spite
of liking it, I just can't remember now what it was.

I would still love to see them expand the "upload to server on save"
feature to include other file operations (move, delete, rename and paste).
But nobody else seems interested in having that feature enhancement (or
at least not within Adobe), so...

As far as features go I have to say the find/search/replace feature is
the best I've found. Eclipse was horrid on that front last I used it.
I've heard that it's improved. I don't use the code folding feature much
(I tend to make sure my working files are pretty small to begin with),
so I can't really tell you how that stacks up to CF-Studio/Homesite+.
And for that matter whenever I create a new project there's a handful of
things I have to manually turn off (because they're dumb and turned on
by default), like cloaking and design notes. Cloaking could be okay, but
imo it would need to be changed. I guess the honest truth is that I use
very few of Dreamweaver's actual "features", so I guess as I said, I
consider "it doesn't get in my way" a feature. Eclipse was constantly
making it difficult for me to do my job one way or another.

--
s. isaac dealey  ^  new epoch
 isn't it time for a change?

http://onTap.riaforge.org/blog