I hate to ask - but if you copy the data from the live server to
your testing server, make a change to the database on your testing
server then upload the database structure and data back to the live
server, what happens to any new data collected on the live server in
the time it takes you to make the change and upload the table?

I run my own server so I don't have that problem, but if I did, I
would think a better way might be just use  cfquery to modify the
database (see http://tutorial28.easycfm.com/) . You can test it
locally then run it on the server to make the database changes.. then
ask the administrator of the server to backup the database to a
password protected directory on your server, and run an automated
task to zip it and download it to your local machine every night..