Quite right, Al, on sites that collect user data on the production
database.   Other sites just have a CMS system that is build on a
database and there is no change to teh production database from one
week to the next.

It all depends on the applications that are running on the site and
how they make changes to the database.   I am managing 40+ web sites
adn they are mostly small but varied in the apps that are running
there.

On one, for example,  the client makes many changes each week in the
CMS on the production database.  On that site, I always take a current
copy of the database to my dev machine before i do any development
work on their site.   On another, i run the CMS on my dev machine
because it's my own site,  and when i have completed al my changes, i
upload the database to teh productoin server to publish the week's
changes to the site.

As i said, it depends.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month