That depends on the function's attributes. The returnFormat argument
will automatically serialize the ColdFusion datatype into a JSON object.
I suggest that anyone using it should play with the returns a bit to see
what comes back for the different CF datatypes. Most things are fairly
standard, with the exception of Adobe's implementation of returning a
query. Adobe's implementation provides for a much smaller data return,
but it isn't in the standard format used by most other app servers, so
it requires a small bit of client-side parsing to get the intended
result. Nothing painful, just important to know the difference. I've
written a CFQueryReader object for Ext, to parse CF query returns for
use with Ext components:

http://blog.cutterscrossing.com/index.cfm/2008/11/20/ColdFusion-Query-Json-Data-Reader

Steve "Cutter" Blades
Adobe Certified Professional
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer

Co-Author of "Learning Ext JS"
http://www.packtpub.com/learning-ext-js/book