>> Those do not appear to be very challenging requirements. You could
>> probably even do this without any of the built-in replication at all
>> but with just incremental backups. How have you currently configured
>> your backups? Do you notice a performance impact when you run a full
>> backup? Do you notice a performance impact when you run a transaction
>> log backup?
>
>The current schedule for backups is a full backup at 3am for the group
>of databases and then a transactional backup every hour from 7am to
>10pm during the week.
>
>As far as the performance of these, I'll have to figure that out.
>
>> For performance size doesn't matter all that much. What matters is
>> update volume.  What is the transaction log volume per hour? How long
>> does it take to apply (replay) that transaction log volume currently?
>
>Hmm... Those are questions I don't know how to answer.  However, if
>I'm understanding where your question process is going, you think
>having a process that would copy and apply the transaction logs on the
>SQL 2005 server might be a safer idea?  That's an interesting idea!
>How would I accurately monitor those metrics?
>
>As I said before, there are a maximum of 18 simultaneous users based
>on licenses, then there are reports that can run on the data at any
>time.  The office is generally open for a 9-10 hour period each day,
>not including weekends.  I *could* see if it would be possible to have
>as much as a 12 hour lag between the systems but I doubt that would
>fly.
>
>Thanks for the line of thought!
>Hatton

The other option suggested seems to be "log shipping", I'm not sure
performance-wise, it's meaningfully superior to replication.  A couple of
things to consider, implementation-wise, which one might be more doable; future
repeatable solution both for the client and developer/consultant... and cost?
Also, let's remember it's always eaier to throw out theory than real-world
experience.