Hi - you dono't say what db you are running - I am guessing SQL
Server? I can think of a couple of ways from the CF point of view:
1.Create a cfm file that connects to an instance on your db server.
E-mail the results of SELECT GETDATE() AS [CurrentDateTime] to you.
Set this up as a scheduled task.
2. Use an external monitoring tool (There are thousands, one we use is
host-tracker.com) to hit your test cfm file above, and skip the
scheduled task and e-mail step.
3. Use a CF tool like FusionReactor or SeeFusion or a system tool like
Nagios to monitor all layers of your setup.
4. Figure out your SQL issue! Maybe CF is causing your issue? FR or SF
above may help in that regard.
Good luck!