On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Ryan Letulle wrote:
> Are you saying that a uuid is inherently insecure?

Depends on how you use them.

> I thought part of the
> uuid was created randomly and for the purposes where I was using it felt
> comfortable.

Some UUIDs are random, some are completely predictable. The ones
created with the CreateUUID() function are predictable.

>  Maybe that sense was false.  Are you saying to hash something
> else like the person's name and use that and it would be more secure?

A primary key is just a primary key, it does not have any security
semantics. Even when people know a primary key of a record your code
should check whether the user is allowed to see that record.
Every user has a username and password to authenticate the user, and
you have some sort of permissions system to check whether the user has
permissions to access a record.

Jochem

--
Jochem van Dieten