If the cfc is being hit, and with the right data, you can absolutely rule
out the cfajaxproxy tag. Can we clarify that the data being returned from
the method is the problem? Try posting a form directly to the cfc method,
e.g.

<form method="post" action="pathtocfc.cfc?method=fubar"><!--- I think that's
right, have never done it --->
<!--- your fields, etc --->
</form>

>From there, debugging should be more straight forward.