From: Justin Scott [mailto:jscott-li...@gravityfree.com]
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 4:55 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: For consideration...

I'm tired of writing form input validation routines over and over again.
Using CFINPUT and its validation options work great for the front end, but
it's still a pain to write input validation on the server-side, and the
rules between the two can get out of sync, and the built-in validation rules
don't have as much flexibility as server-side rules do.  I'm working on a
project where I have some flexible time to write a new tool and wanted to
see if there would be any interest in the community in a tool defined as
such:

A form library that would allow a form with all of its properties and
validation requirements to be defined in one place (likely a JSON file)
which would then 1) Generate the form for display (optional), 2) provide for
AJAX-based client-side validation, and 3) provide server-side validation.
The core library would have a number of built-in validation options and
allow for new rules to be added as needed without changing the core library
files.

My thought is that this would help speed development by centralizing form
definitions and properties and make input validation on both the client and
server side consistent and reliable without having to constantly write and
rewrite huge blocks of cfif/cfelseif code for each form.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Bad idea?  Someone already release something that does
this?  If it sounds like something you could use, please let me know.  If
it's pursued, it would be released free for the community to use, but I
don't want to waste time building it if something similar exists or nobody
else could benefit from it.  Any feedback appreciated.

-Justin Scott