>If you can convince a gracious user to let you, maybe try debugging
>the cookie settings process on their machine?
>
>Might have to go so far as doing FF plugins and whatnot, but maybe
>something simple like having it prompt to set cookies will shed light
>on what's happening?
>
>FWIW, I've seen cookie setting problems when the cookiePath wasn't
>rewritten, if you're doing URL rewrites-- but you'd have been having
>problems before IE8 if that was the case.
>
>Here's to hoping the meta-tag fixes it!
>
>:den

Did in fact observe two or three users.  In all cases, the cookie simply wasn't
being set (through observation of the Temporary Internet Files folder).  In
each case, eventually it just started "working" -- after trying several
different things -- with no consistency as to which thing worked in any of the
cases.  I don't believe this is a CFLOCATION or URL rewrite issue... users are
all at the correct domain from the start.