I have a client who we just moved off of HostMySite. We had a VPS there and we
learned there was no firewall device in front of it. Never knew that. A bit of
a surprise.

I have another client on CrystalTech and for the most part, their support has
been great. I always get a response within the hour (any time of day) from
someone who isn't just reading from a script and telling me to do things I said
I already tried. System up-time has been just fine too.

I have had one incident there though that left a bad taste in my mouth: We
needed CrystalTech to do some work setting up a DSN from another machine. It
wasn't working so the tech, without telling us, made some changes to our
database config. Our site went down and he finally got things working again by
restoring a day old database backup. Now we had data out of sync that we wanted
to retain. My client paid me to do the tedious work to sync things back up. I
also spent time with CT's support figuring out what went wrong when their tech
finally admitted in writing that he had made the mistake. With that knowledge
in hand, my client then asked CT to reimburse him for at least some of what he
paid me to fix things and they refused. The galling thing was that the person
there who refused (some VP) did so in a way that made it clear he was not even
aware of all the facts, i.e. that it was their own mistake. I don't think my
client ever resolved it with them but they aren't as great as he thought they
once were.