Dave,

Oh my!!  You need to say that again several times till folks get it. I vis
at least one server a week set to "automatically install patches" ... which
about 1/3 of the time results in a reboot and about 1/2 the time installs
extra software or upgrades that are not needed.  Unless you are using your
server as a desktop do you really need the latest version of windows media
player? Or the upgraded browser helper active X?  If it's not a print
spooler does it need spooler flaw patches (and why is the spooler service
enabled in the first place)?  In my view it should always be set to
"download and let me choose" and then you should schedule a time to check
them out and install the appropriate ones .... and even then sometimes they
trip you up (security based ones in particular have a way of resulting in
unintended consequences).  

Mark A. Kruger, MCSE, CFG
(402) 408-3733 ext 105
Skype: markakruger
www.cfwebtools.com
www.coldfusionmuse.com
www.necfug.com



-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Watts [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:37 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Vmware and CF 8+


This is true if you blindly install every patch released by MS, but that is
a poor patch management strategy to say the least.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

Sent from my Droid

On Sep 19, 2010 4:59 PM, "Chris Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> true...I knew that, I think I meant more that nearly every month MS has at
least one patch that requiresa reboot, rarely do I go through a patch
tuesday without some critical fix...
>
> I saw a timeline somewhere where there are far more patches that require
rebooting on the MS side - which is only to be expected as it's a full blown
OS running there...as opposed to a stripped down kernel, just running what
needs to be run for the one function.
>
>>> biggest problem with hyper-v is that service packs and
>>> critical fixes that require a reboot of the underlying
>>> OS means you have to reboot however many VM's are
>>> running on your box too).
>>
>>I use ESXi myself, and to be fair to Microsoft, when a critical patch for
>>ESXi is release it requires the same process (shut down the VMs and reboot
>>the hypervisor). Since I deployed ESXi there has been one patch I needed
to
>>install and that was four months ago. Most of the patches that come out
are
>>related to the CLI which ESXi doesn't ship with, so they're not relevant.
>>
>>
>>-Justin
>
> 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Order the Adobe Coldfusion Anthology now!
http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Coldfusion-Anthology-Michael-Dinowitz/dp/1430272155/?tag=houseoffusion
Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:337235
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/unsubscribe.cfm

Reply via email to