How would CF server know to process a .cfm file unless you pre-configured
your IIS or Apache to tell CF to process and execute PNGs?  I'm honestly
asking.

I agree that your files should not be in the webroot, but it sounds like you
can easily use a dynamic loader script, and configure the framework to save
and load files in anything location you would like.  I don't think anyone is
NOT agreeing with you about the security.