Very true.  I jump on forums for other technologies and none are as helpful
as the CF community.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Stroz [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:47 
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Is Coldfusion losing it biggest asset?


I am going to answer the question you asked in the subject of the thread.

No. ColdFusion is not losing its biggest asset. To me, ColdFusion's biggest
asset is you, and Charlie and Dave and Rick and everyone else on this list
and other CF support lists. I think ColdFusion's biggest asset is the
community of developers who take it upon themselves to help out newcomers to
the language, as well as help to address complex issues that even the most
seasoned CF developer might encounter. Yea, we bicker form time to time, but
for the most part, we are a good lot.
Very passionate.

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Irvin Gomez <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Coming from a design, not programming, background, I embraced Coldfusion
for all the well-known reasons: easy to use, easy to learn, easy, easy...you
get the idea.
>
> With the advent of more advanced features, everywhere I go I see a big
push for moving Coldfusion and Coldfusion development into very complicated
frameworks and  OOP. The usual reason given is that not doing so runs the
risk of rendering the Coldfusion developer obsolete in the job marketplace.
>
> So, my first question: if the reason for going in the direction suggested
is fear of becoming 'unemployable', wouldn't it make far more sense to move
into something more "popular" like  PHP, .Net, etc. right away? Because the
same argument can be used to scare even the most advanced Coldfusion
developers: no matter how good you are, you're still part of a very small
minority and doing coldfusion instead of PHP will make you obsolete sooner
or later.
>
> Second and final question: what's really wrong with a procedural approach
when dealing with medium or small web sites (which I imagine is the majority
of work entrusted to your average Coldfusion developer)? Is there a
legitimate need to learn what *APPEARS* to be over-complicated and clumsy
frameworks and OOP strategies?
>
> And, please, know i'm not trying to create a flame war. I'm not pretending
to be an expert (I'm not) in Coldfusion matters. I'm just trying get the
real-world perspective of fellow developers far more experienced and
knowledgeable than me.
>
> 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Order the Adobe Coldfusion Anthology now!
http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Coldfusion-Anthology/dp/1430272155/?tag=houseoffusion
Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/message.cfm/messageid:340724
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-talk/unsubscribe.cfm

Reply via email to