Sorry if I am repeating what anyone else has said, I didn't read the rest of
the thread.

If you catch errors inside the CFC using try/catch you can then return then
in your return struct to inform your calling page that there was an error.

e.g.

<cfset Foo = MyCFC.method(vars)>
<cfif Structkeyexists(foo,"error)>
 Call your error handler, or do a CFTHROW to cause the default error handler
to be used.
</cfif>

It is a good idea to then have a template or a cfc that handles your error,
outputs a friendly message, logs the error and sends you an email.

Frameworks like ColdSpring will handle a lot of this stuff for you if you
want to get into that.

--
Russ Michaels

www.bluethunderinternet.com        : Business hosting services & solutions
www.cfmldeveloper.com              : ColdFusion community and developer
hosting
www.michaels.me.uk             : My Blog
www.cfsearch.com               : ColdFusion search engine
skype me                       : russmichaels