It is definitely possible and rather easy using CF (or just plain
javascript) - all you need to do is make an ajax request to a cfc/cfm on
your server passing entered employee number as data/argument, which will
return necessary data based on emp number. You then populate necessary
fields with returned data.
CF's built-in ajax functionality will come in handy here (i.e. cfinput
fields with bind attribute pointing to your cfc method), but not
required - same is easily achieved with a regular js ajax request;
jQuery will even make it fun.
If you are not very familiar with javascript, and you are running CF8+,
then use the built-in cf functionality. All you need is well described
in CF Developer's Guide (download pdf from adobe.com) and numerous blogs.

Azadi