Always scope your variables, unless you have a specific reason not to. It
reinforces a good habit and demonstrates to anyone reviewing your code that
you know what scoping variables is all about. I would estimate that roughly
100% of experienced CF programmers would agree that scoping local variables
does more good than harm. Even though scoping local variables doesn't add
much value to the Web site, it does help separate you from the masses of
inexperienced CF programmers, and that is enough of a reason to do it.

-Mike Chabot