Here's how I would approach this. First, if you are dead set on having
the link to the pdf appear as a regular 'pdf' link, create a url
rewrite rule (using either mod_rewrite in Apache, an IIS isapi
extension for IIS, or another mechanism if you are using some other
webserver). The mod_rewrite rule might look something like this (not
checked for accuracy):

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^somefakedownloaddir/(.+?)\.pdf$ processPdfRequest.cfm?file=$1[L]

In other words, you can download the pdf by accessing:

http://myserver.com/processPdfRequest.cfm?file=/path/to/my.pdf (or a
more suitable URL should you be using a framework, etc.)

In your 'processPdfRequest.cfm' or somewhere in your request cycle,
you can check access rights and file existence. Then, if all is good,
serve the file using cfcontent (again, unverified code):

<cfheader name="Content-Disposition" value="attachment;
filename=fileNameThatTheUserSees.pdf" /><!--- if you want it to force
download --->
<cfcontent type='application/pdf' file='/server/path/to/my.pdf' />

HTH

Dominic