Dave, I never said that neither way was improper. What I stated was that the
tag cfabort was introduced to satisfy the needs of developers who needed a
way to abort the page for debugging purposes.

I never talked about developers could not figure out what cfabort is for,
what I am saying is that when you begin to make changes to the application
one will end up scratching their heads as to why some snippet of code is not
working, only to find that a developer 2-10 years ago wrote dodgy code that
put a cfabort into a template when there is no need to do that.

It is all about letting the natural process continue for that exact reason,
and you wonder why ColdFusion gets a bad name. Anyone who picks up an
Application and then has to scratch their heads to figure out why something
is not working, has to waste time going through the code to figure out why,
and that to me screams bad decision making at the time that snippet of code
was written.

Dave, you can argue things that I have not actually said, or you can imply
what you think I mean. You will never change my mind that you should avoid
using cfabort, than what it was intended for and what 99.99% of people
actually do use it for. Sure there are many things in ColdFusion that one
could do it this way or that, and then we are right back to the dark ages of
spaghetti code, and people bagging the language because they believe the
work flow to be badly written.

The point is that Claude made it very clear that he is not using
onRequestEnd.cfm, he also made it very clear that he likes to output data
and then do a cfabort to make sure the page has ended, and I will ask for
what real benefit? Now, what if he decided to reuse this code in another
template only to find that he has to rewrite that code, because something
new needs to run that code, then fails to run he then has to find another
way to do his job. So why not write it as if you are intending to reuse the
code in the first place, and that there is a huge potential that one might
want to call this code from another template.

It doesn't take an Einstein to work out that if you are looking at exciting
the template there are more better and efficient ways of doing it, that is
my point and I will say it again, you will not change my mind on this. IF a
developer can't take the initiative to make their jobs easier, whether it be
now or 10 years from now, then I have no time for those people because they
are caught up in the moment, and not thinking about the what ifs when it
comes to their style of coding.

I mean we are hear discussing this, because bad code was written in the
first place. Sure you can do it the way Claude has done it, does it make it
work right, well it did then but not anymore. And that just makes my point
even stronger.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
http://www.andyscott.id.au/