My reply to Rick was not condescending, since to be so requires intent, and
there was none.

My aim with all my responses to this list is to be helpful and try to make the
web a better place. I try to write replies keeping in mind that the post may
well be used as a reference by others - erring on the side of lack of knowledge
is usually the better option since you never know who might later be reading
it, in addition to the person being responded to.

At time of writing, the post was four times the average post length, and
followed on from a focused reply of "I want continuous updates; that's what
you've got" to wandering across the whole spectrum of the topic being covered
here. That constitutes long and rambling for me, and - in case you missed it -
that line was terminated with a big fat tongue, to specifically suggest the
tone to interpret with.

I'm not sticking my head in the sand, I'm doing the complete opposite: I'm
saying "take some time to read about HTML5 from authoritative sources, and
you'll see it really is becoming all the things you want - a continuous
standard that the browser vendors are actually working towards implementing; we
really are in a better place than ten years ago".

I never said we should not be pressing for better browsers - I very much
dislike *all* browsers; they all suck in different ways, (and I'd love to have
the resources to do something about that).

And yes, these days, even Microsoft have actually been making efforts, with IE9
- it's still far from perfect, but compared to previous versions it's a great
improvement.

If there's any particular or general view which you (or anyone) feels I have
missed, please feel free to re-iterate it and I'll address it directly.