Have you tried using an Ajax call to execute the ftp protocol using the
browser?  The danger would be you'd expose the username/password of your
receiving FTP server, so you'd have to configure an account with put-only
privileges and some sort of receiving script.

You'll have a challenge with the browse button then, I think security-wise that
javascript can't read the value of a input type of file.  Knowing it was
finished might be another problem.  Status bars are great.

Never tried it, but it'd be an interesting attempt.

Flash-based is a good alternative in this case as others have mentioned.  I
avoid applets like the plague so wouldnt recommend java solutions.

Nick