For my specific implementation, I decided to use a combination approach.
 Remembering this is an attempt to mitigate SQL injection exploits, I check
for select or declare in the query string.  I realized forms posed a
slightly different problem, as I have many user posting long text data the
often contains some form of those words.  For the forms I check for an
instance of both select and declare and send an email alert to myself with
the pertinent data.  I can control this at the granular level as the values
are assigned to an attributes structure I use for processing, letting me
replace the values or further analyze possible exploit attempts.

I did end up using the regex for the query strings, but as always, no one
solution is the perfect fit.

Thanks,
Brian Cain