Not sure what kind of page you're doing, but have you looked at
cfflush? That flushes out the request buffer which can be a
significant overhead, especially in terms of perceived responsiveness,
on long running pages. I don't know for 100% certain but I believe
that that would often trigger a garbage collection as well.

Cheers,
Judah