Dave,

On my previous Win2K3 server, the only way I was able to get scheduled
tasks to run properly was to allow anonymous access to the subfolder in
the application which stored the scripts for scheduled tasks.  This
worked fine for several years on the old server.

I was trying to do the same thing on the new Win2K8R2 server (IIS 7.5).
The application requires NTLM authentication, but I haven't been able to
get the scheduled tasks to run.  Even when I hit the scheduled task
pages directly in a browser (Firefox and Chrome), I am prompted to login
with Active Directory credentials.  I also tried turning the subfolder
in question into a virtual application in IIS 7.5 but that didn't seem
to make any difference.

Anyway, as you indicate, it appears that under IIS 7.5 you can't open a
"security hole" (my quotes) by allowing anonymous access to a subfolder
in a site requiring authentication.  So my workaround is to create a new
site just for running scheduled tasks, and have that entire site allow
anonymous authentication (thanks also to Russ who kinda suggested
this).  I am now able to get these scheduled tasks to run properly.

Thank you Dave and Russ for your suggestions!
-Carl