> Paul:
>
> Thanks for the response.  I may end up implementing something like this if
all else fails but I'd prefer to find the actual cause of the problem to
> prevent this from happening in the first place instead of responding after
the fact.  Any ideas what could be causing the collections to stall?

Seriously, that solution is what I came up with after spending more time
than I'd like to admit to looking at Verity. In the end, I came to the
conclusion that the version of Verity baked in to CF simply isn't up to the
job of heavy load search queries when it's handling multiple catalogs. I
ended up writing the exception handler so that I wasn't caught out with a
downed search service simply because Verity lost the plot. By doing what
I've done, I haven't had to manually manage the collections in around 5
years. Even the full removal of catalogs and their subsequent rebuild is
automated if it escalates to that.

One of the weirdest things that Verity does is get its catalogs mixed up...
Sometimes you can search against one catalog and verity returns results from
a completely different one. Not clever. All our servers are CF8 at the
moment and I'm running CF 10 on the dev laptops at the moment with CF8 in
staging. As soon as I can get the staging server and production servers over
to CF10, I'll dump Verity for Solr in a heartbeat. All my search code and
catalog management is wrapped up in a set of objects so I can swap out the
low level verity.cfc for a solr.cfc that has the same functions with Solr
specific implementations and all the rest will "just work". Can't wait.

Paul