OK I have done a complete rewrite of how it works now.
All saved code is now executed in a totally difference instance than the
site itself, so uploaded code no longer has any access to the site files,
so that avoids all the permissions issues, and that instance is not
remotely accessible either. plus  also has greater Railo access
restrictions as well.
I have disabled file access for now as it probably isn't needed in an app
like this anyway, but it is probably safe to enable considering no files
can be read or written outside the webroot of the instance and as the
instance is not web accessible, there is no way for anyone to make any use
of any dodgy files they create.

Feel free to hack away and let me know if you find any problems or other
potential security issues.