Actually, my VPS is 64bit Windows 2008 r2. I manage it myself, so I know.
Hostek has some workaround to be able to run these Access DSNs. It's all
automated, so I don't pay it much mind. Also, even without Windows support,
there is no reason that you could not use a Java driver to connect to the
Access file if you really have to. I do this on my Mac to be able to run a
local copy of the site on my development machine. I agree though, I would
love to get rid of these last couple of Access sites that I still maintain.
They cause me nothing but trouble. I've converted the vast majority of my
client sites long ago, but there are still a couple stragglers.