From: Carlson, Kevin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 11:31 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CF, Verity, and External collections

Thanks for the feedback!  One constraint we are stuck with is that all the
documents are on another Solaris server, which does not have its own web
server.  So, I need to somehow remotely index those files and, when the user
selects one from a search output list, the file can be FTP'd to  a "viewing
area" on the web server, or downloaded to the user's PC.

According to Verity, the Search97 tool is now out of date, and they are
pushing something called "K2".  It seems a bit pricey for what we want ($15K
per CPU, plus $80 per user seat)

I've started to look at other alternatives, such as dtsearch ($1K per
server, been around a while, but not available on Solaris) and PLWeb Turbo,
a FREE web search engine from AOL at www.pls.com (but its "spiders" may not
be able to "crawl" outside the web domain, I'm looking for more info.)

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Kevin Carlson
AT&T Wireless Services