> (1) .biz domains are global, so when you've got a name you've got it
> worldwide, whereas .com, .co.nz, .com.au, .co.uk etc aren't.

Coke will own coke.biz and coke.shop just the same.  If you register it,
they'll sue your butt.  So the same scramble will ensue with the .biz and
shop names as with the dot-coms.  Many of the speculators are not renewing
the .com names they own.  Keep checking whois and you'll see that many
decent names are lapsing.  NSI is making them available much more quickly
now than before.  I don't know how the other registrars are handling them.
But back to the .biz and .shop.  With the .biz and .shop, folks will now
have to remember, "was that blah.com or blah.biz or blah.shop?"  Better buy
them all.

> (2)  If you don't pre-register your name in the .biz domain, someone else
> can end up taking your name.  This might or might not be a problem
depending
> on how important the .biz domains become.   Do you guys think that these
new
> domains will ultimately be as important as the .com domains?
What a scam! - Even if you "pre-register" you're not guaranteed anything.
Many of the pre-register companies state right on their sites that they
don't guarantee you will get your name.  They don't even guarantee they'll
go after it.  Plus they won't refund your money if you don't get it.
Pre-registration is a scam!

> (3) If you don't pre-register your name you could find your own domain
owned
> by an opportunist who will hold your name to ransom until you buy it from
> him at whatever price he wants.
Dittos from #2 above

> (4) If you have high traffic, someone else could use your name in one of
> these new tlds  and use it to drive traffic to their site, parasitically.
So
> you could end up with your customers being directed to a porn site or
> anything.  And all at your cost.
Dittos #1 above

> (4) Compared to the potential cost of having your name held to ransom or
> used by a competitor or even a porn site the cost of the new domains are
> chickenfeed.
Yea - but it's still first come first server for the common joe.  Unless
you're a big corp that can afford lawyers to prove trademark infringment,
you just need to be there when the door opens!

FWIW and IMHO and all that stuff,
Dave