Mike Kear wrote:

> What do you think needs to be considered about pre-registering .biz or .shop
> or whatever domains?

It is no guarantee whatsoever that you get the domain.

> Here's what I've listed so far .....
>
> (1) .biz domains are global, so when you've got a name you've got it
> worldwide, whereas .com, .co.nz, .com.au, .co.uk etc aren't.

All domains are global in the sense that if you type www.zip.com.au you
will end up on the same server regardless as where you typed it. Some
domains (not .com!!!) just have additional rules to register them, like
living in a certain locality. But I have my .nl worldwide ;)

> (2)  If you don't pre-register your name in the .biz domain, someone else
> can end up taking your name.  This might or might not be a problem depending
> on how important the .biz domains become.   Do you guys think that these new
> domains will ultimately be as important as the .com domains?

If you do pre-register your name in the .biz domain, someone else can
end up taking your name anyway. BTW, if somebody takes it away it isn't
your name, it is his name.

No, .biz and other new TLDs will not become as important. ICANN has
stated that from now on new TLDs will be added on a regular basis, so I
expect the new registrations will be spread over more and more domains.

> (3) If you don't pre-register your name you could find your own domain owned
> by an opportunist who will hold your name to ransom until you buy it from
> him at whatever price he wants.

If you do pre-register your name you could find your own domain owned by
an opportunist who will hold your name to ransom until you buy it from
him at whatever price he wants anyway. Do you know why? Because it is
not your own but his own ;)

I would say, get one good domain and stick with it. Additional TLDs will
mean that it will be:
- a large financial burden to get your name registered in all domains
- increasingly less important to have a certain domain

With the last I mean that in the not so far future the amount of
possible domains for company X which does car repairs (x.com, x.biz,
x.info, x.com.ccTLD, x.car, x.shop, x.repair etc.) is so huge that
people will stop trying to find a place by simply typing it in the
address bar. Getting quality links and pushing your bookmark to the user
is going to be the issue.
Just look at how it works with phonenumbers: it used to be that you
could be reached if people knew your number. Nowadays, with everybody
calling mobile, people can only reach you if you are in memory or under
a speeddial.
Users are getting more stupid/lazy, they just want to click somewhere to
go to your site instead of type it in the address bar, and if you click
somewhere it doesn't matter where the link goes.

Just my opinion.

Jochem