Justin Scott wrote:

> Compaq 1850r ..  single, maybe dual 400-450 proc, 512MB ram, 3x9.1GB SCSI
> drives on raid 5 with a good controller..

I would say that is insufficient RAM. Look at all the services that will
be running:
OS stuff (50 MB)
ColdFusion (100 MB or more)
IIS (100 MB or more)
DNS (?)
Stats (?)
Generator maybe

And then the databases:
MS SQL
Informix
The key to keeping performance on databases is always to keep all data
in RAM. The only time your HDD light should be blinking is when
something is updated/inserted, not for a SELECT statement.

1 GB is the minimum for what you want to run.

Also, for relyability, go for dual. None of the services mentioned above
is know for playing nice to others, and if you have dual processors and
one locks up a processor you can still log in, kill the process, figure
out what went wrong and fix things.

Traffic etc should be fairly easy to estimate based on the traffic these
sites currently have.

For me the question would however be whether or not to stuff all this on
one box. Going for 2 less powerfull 1U machines, one with webserver, and
one with databases, might be a good idea in terms of performance, money
and reliability.

Jochem