In tables where I need arbitrary sorting ability, I've set up a
numeric "sortby" field, wherein I order items manually (could get
tedious if you have 100 rows in a table, but I never have that many in
an arbitrarily-sorted table). I set the default value to, say, 100 or
1000, so that items are automatically low-sort priority by default. I
value my first priority item 10, my second item 20, and so on. Then I
ORDER BY that field in my SQL.

You could make a simple javascript/CF sorting app to take care of your
sorting, if you grow tired of juggling numbers.

If others have a better way, I'd like to know.

Thanks,
Jamie