From: VAN VLIET, SCOTT E (SBCSI) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 1:49 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CF/Database Help

Depending on the depth of you database, the best thing to do would to be
create a master RECIPE table, and a master INGREDIENT table.  The, you could
create an linkage table that would like n number of ingredients to a recipe.

EXAMPLE:

RECIPE
RC_ID           RC_NAME                 RC_DESCRIPTION
10              Chocolate Cookies               Yummy!
20              Chocolate Brownies      More Yummy!

INGREDIENT
IN_ID           IG_NAME                 IN_DESCRIPTION
1               Flour                           White Stuff
2               Sugar                           Sweet Stuff
3               Egg                             Yolks & Stuff
4               Salt                            NaCl2
5               Chocolate                       Good Stuff
6               Chocolate Chips         Little Stuff

RECIPE_INGREDIENT
=============================
RI_ID           RC_ID           IN_ID
-----------------------------
1               10              1
2               10              2
3               10              3
4               10              4
6               10              6
7               20              1
8               20              2
9               20              3
10              20              4
11              20              5

The table, RECIPE_INGREDIENT, would contain an identity for the relationship
(RI_ID), a reference to the recipe (RC_ID) and a reference to the related
ingredient (IN_ID).

So, to find out what ingredients are used in Chocolate Brownies, you could:

SELECT  RI.IN_ID, IN.IN_NAME, IN.IN_DESCRIPTION
FROM            RECIPE_INGREDIENT RI JOIN
                INGREDIENT IN ON RI.IN_ID = IN.IN_ID
WHERE           RI.RC_ID = 20

You can go even farther and attach the recipe details to this query.  But I
hope this leads you in the right direction!

--
Scott Van Vliet
Senior Analyst