Thanks.

Yeah, I've heard of it (and used it), I was just using it in the wrong
place.  I was trying to use it when serializing the data to wddx, not on the
hidden field value, where it should've been.

Another Related Question:  I'm now getting errors "Not well formed" because
of special characters like a registered mark ®.  Is there a function to deal
with these rather than using regex?  If not, does anyone have a regex to
replace all characters like this?  I'm sure this isn't the only character
that will cause problems.