I know this has been asked before, but I can't find it anywhere.

I have a textarea that allows users to type a bunch of text.  When
submitted, the form variables serialized to wddx and put in a hidden field
for the next form.

The problem is that if the user enters characters like double quotes, the
browser thinks the hidden form field ends at the double quotes and displays
the rest of the packet.

What function do I need to use to "make it safe" while passing it in a
hidden field and then "make it normal" when I input the info into the
database?

I've tried xmlFormat(), but it didn't work (I may not be using it
correctly).

-Brad