From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 14 May 2002 22:03
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: [flasher] Is Flash safe to drive?

> Agreed :-)....... but to piss on his parade, Flash ontop of
> J2EE with Flash Remoting is online banking safe...; I challenge
> him to prove to me its not (sorry couldn't resist....)

You want to be very careful when you piss on someone's parade; there
might
be a headwind.

Flash, just like HTML, is as safe as you make it, when you're referring
data integrity between client and server. Using J2EE doesn't make any
difference - you can build insecure applications just as easily with
J2EE as
with any other CGI-style environment - and Flash Remoting just makes it
harder to manipulate the data (far from impossible, though, I suspect -
it's
binary, but not encrypted or obfuscated, according to the curious folks
who've started examining the format).

The key is to design your application with security in mind; don't
unnecessarily rely on data from the client when you can avoid it, filter
all
data from the client every time, and use SSL as appropriate to prevent
third
parties from being able to see the data. If you do that, you won't have
any
more problems with Flash than you would with a well-designed HTML
interface.
If you don't, you'll have the same problems that you'd have with a
poorly-designed HTML interface.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496