From: Ryan Kime [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 8:30 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Bulk email servers...

This is to everyone on the list,

I don't know what the guidelines are for this list concerning responses to
items like this. I think as developers, we have an obligation to decide who
to help if it's something that might use technology in a harmful way. If
this was a bomb squad mail-list, we wouldn't tell people where the best
places are  to buy items for homemade creation. Not saying what Kevin, in
particular, is planning on doing is wrong, but "a few million emails
overnight" doesn't sound like the best intentions to me. I don't think most
company's "newsletters" have user bases of over a million - how big is
Macromedia's newsletter user count? I could be wrong, but this brings up my
point - how do we know the true intentions of the submitter? You might be
thinking, "what's the big deal if it's for spraying emails?", well go do a
news search on Google concerning the cost of spam for corporations....it's
becoming a big concern.

I bring this up because I am seeing emails concerning questionable tactics
or what may be legit but could be used in a harmful way (i.e. - the thread
on accessing a user's a: drive). As a group, do we have a responsibility to
ignore technical questions that are borderline suspect? Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Ryan Kime