>   Theoretically, the attributes scope is only available in custom tags.
>   However, if in the application.cfm you create a variable like this:
>
> <cfset attributes.myvar = "myvalue">
>
>   I am not sure how ColdFusion reacts.

I haven't worked with anything later than CF 4.51 yet, but in both 4.0 and
4.5 you can use the Attributes scope just as you would any other non-shared
scope (variables, request, etc).  You can create variables in the Attributes
scope on the fly, in application.cfm, or in any other template for that
matter.

FWIW,
Seth